Thyroid problems have become widespread, especially among women. There are basically two main thyroid disorders:
- Hypothyroidism: Hypothyroidism is characterized by production of thyroid hormone below the normal level. It often results in weight gain and is the most common form of thyroid disorder.
- Hyperthyroidism: This disorder is characterized by excessive production of thyroid hormone due to an overactive thyroid gland. Symptoms include increased heart rate, depression, weight loss and cognitive slowing. Medications include the use of radioactive iodine and thyroid surgery.
Listed here are 10 indicators that you may have an under-active thyroid:
- Fatigue after sleeping eight to 10 hours an evening or needing to take a nap each day.
- Weight acquire or the lack to shed pounds.
- Temper points equivalent to temper swings, anxiousness or despair.
- Hormone imbalances equivalent to PMS, irregular duration’s, infertility and low intercourse drive.
- Muscle ache, joint ache, carpal tunnel syndrome, or tendonitis.
- Chilly arms and toes, feeling chilly when others will not be, or having a physique temperature constantly under 98.5.
- Dry or cracking pores and skin, brittle nails and extreme hair loss.
- Thoughts points equivalent to mind fog, poor focus or poor reminiscence.
- Neck swelling, loud night breathing or hoarse voice.
Which lab checks are greatest to find out in case you have a thyroid downside?
I test the under panel on every of my sufferers. Ensure that your physician does the identical for you.
- Free T4
- Free T3
- Reverse T3
- Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOAb)
- Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TgAb)