HORMONES, What are they?
Ever wondered why do you feel hungry, tired, sleepy and all the other feelings that arise in your mind daily. The answer is hormones! Yes, they are the ones responsible for all those random feelings in your mind. Hormones act as the manager of your body and control your mind as well as your physical behaviors such as sleep, growth, mood, digestion, respiration, reproduction and many other important functions that are essential for the body to function properly. You might have heard about hormones like estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. But that’s not it. Your body has other hormones too, that works silently and keeps you healthy such as growth hormone, cortisol, insulin, melatonin etc. Oestrogen is the primary female hormone that regulates the reproductive system, promotes fertility and develops female characteristics such as breasts, hips, and bottom. In the same way, Testosterone is the primary male hormone which is responsible for the fat gain in males, builds muscles and incites body hair as well as sexual desire.
Here’s the catch! Every hormone has its own set of functions in specific regions of the body. They can adjunct each other and cause problems for the body, that’s why it is important for the hormones to be present in the right ratio for the body to function properly.
While balancing of many hormones such as thyroid hormone, prolactin, AMH, FSH, LH, and progesterone are known to have a direct impact on fertility, for many women who have been trying to get their first child usually have the same question, how to balance hormones to get pregnant without waiting for too long. However, this problem can easily be treated with proper diet and guidance. Natural remedies for hormonal imbalance in females can be used along with a hormone balance test that will ensure that the hormone imbalance treatment goes in the right direction and goes back to its normal state.
So what causes the hormone imbalance?
Hormone imbalance mainly affects women, during their lifetime, hormones make a fuss every day. But sometimes their hormones either rise to extreme levels or drops to the lowest number. When this imbalance becomes too intense, in turn, causes various problems. Estrogen dominance is commonly faced by many women that occurs when the level of estrogen rises too much as compared to progesterone. As this imbalance takes place, your body starts giving you signals about something is not right. You can experience physical, emotional as well as behavioral changes. As the imbalance becomes substantial, symptoms can intensify. If it not treated in time, it might be too late to get it back to a balanced state.
Some common symptoms include:
- Weight gain
- Migration and headaches
- Breast tenderness
- Cramping pains, back pains
Most common causes that make your hormones to go out of balance:
- Stress: This is one of the biggest cause of hormonal imbalance. Stress can arise due to any other reason such as workload, relationships, lack of sleep etc. Increased stress can trigger the production of cortisol that leads to the decrement in the level of progesterone.
- Improper diet plan: A diet plays a very crucial role in the hormonal balance. A properly planned diet and a little exercise can make you as well as your hormones in the right state.
- Toxins: The unhealthy substance that enters our body through what we eat or drink and also through the pollution in the surroundings. Too many toxins might result in improper functioning of the liver which leads to the abundance of estrogen in the system, disturbing the hormonal balance.
- Body fat: Excessive fat in the body secretes an enzyme that converts testosterone into estrogen resulting in the unattractive figure. This happens because testosterone is responsible for burning fat and building muscle. But due to excessive body fat testosterone can’t work properly.
- Ageing: When men grow old, the testosterone level decline faster as compared to the estrogen, resulting and uneven hormonal balance. While in females, the progesterone level decreases rapidly and many times becomes zero which once again leads to the estrogen dominance or menopause.
Female hormone balance test:
The testing of hormones is usually carried out in various different ways:
- Saliva Test: It’s one of the most accurate ways to measure the levels of Cortisol, Oestrogen, DHEA, Progesterone, and testosterone. It’s much more accurate and correctly indicates the level of hormones.
- Blood/Serum Testing: This test tells about the “free” and “total” number of hormones that are present in the bloodstream. It is not as accurate as the saliva testing.
- FHS Testing: Follicle Stimulating hormone testing is usually done on premenopausal women to determine their hormonal status. This test indicates the amount of follicle-stimulating hormones namely FHS in the bloodstream, mainly produced by the pituitary gland. The FHS is responsible for the production of eggs and menstrual cycle in women.
Why worry? Let foods do the balancing!
You are what you eat if your diet will be balanced, so does your hormones. Whatever food you’re putting down your belly is either working for you or against you. So you must be very careful about your diet and must follow a healthy, hormone balancing diet plan that will boost your immune system as well as keeps your hormones in sway. A hormone reset diet food list is all you need!
Here are the best 8 super hormone balancing food that will keep your hormones in equilibrium.
- Leafy Greens: These leafy vegetables are abundant in antioxidants as well as vitamins A, B6, C and K. They provide minerals to the body, such as Iron, Zinc, copper, and magnesium. It reduces inflammation, painful cramps and also controls mood swings. A half cup of these veggies must be in your daily diet plan.
- Coconut Oil: Coconuts has made it to the list for some reason. It contains the healing juice, lauric acid. It is a great source of getting healthy fats while maintaining the hormones in equilibrium. It can be consumed with tea, coffee can be used for cooking too.
- Avocados: It enables the body for the better absorption of nutrients. Avocados are a rich source of fiber, magnesium vitamin B, E, potassium and makes the skin look gorgeous by enabling the release of hormones.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: The inclusion of olive oil in our daily diet triggers the production of leptin hormone, that helps the body in controlling from getting excessive body fat and makes our body look great!
- Seeds & Nuts: Flax Seeds, Chia seeds, almond, and walnuts provide the body with omega 3 and reduces the harmful effects of omega 6. Omega 3 fatty acids are anti-inflammatory and provide enough DHA and EPA that are helpful in building up of new hormones.
- Eggs: Egg yolks contributes by providing the body with Vitamins A, B2, D and E as well as Iron, Calcium, and phosphorus. Eating an egg daily maintains a healthy reproductive system, balance hormones and provides a glowing skin.
- Healing spices: The spices such as ginger, garlic, and cinnamon is considered one of the healthiest foods in the world. Apart from being rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory, consumption of these spices improves the overall metabolism of the body that’s essential for keeping the hormones balanced.
- Plain Yogurt: Last but not least, yogurt is the natural source of getting probiotics. It improves digestion, introduces good bacteria in the gut, regulates the production of estrogen and makes the immune system stronger.
Hormonal imbalance affects millions of people worldwide, either male or female. Both have their own consequences. It can be quite challenging in order to figure out the exact cause for these imbalances, but you should not despair. There are countless remedies for the treatment of this. Though it will take time to get back to normal state, however, the natural ways stands above all and is worth the time and effort.